Tag Archives: community

CBA North news this week

CBA North News
We’ve a few announcements in this email for you from a variety of sources. Firstly there is a CBA National survey which is anticipated as an up-to-date summary of all local archaeological groups across England and Wales, some further details of the Teesside Archaeological Society, reminders of other events from Appleby to Berwick, via Newcastle and Crookham, this and next month, as well as a note about the forthcoming General Data Protection Regulations.

If you would like to submit anything, or indeed for the next CBA North Committee, please feel free to do so. The contributions and thoughts of all Members and Followers are most welcome at any time.

Much of our admin work behind the scenes over the next few weeks will be preparing things for the General Data Protection Regulations. We will make it as painless and easy for you as possible, but we can’t ignore it as the law.

Best wishes,

CBA North Committee
27.03.2018

CBA National’s Community Archaeology Survey
CBA North members may remember the work of our former Secretary Suzi Thomas with CBA National back in 2009 and 2010. This provided a baseline of all archaeological groups which was published in 2010. Debbie Frearson, now at CBA National, has written to give us and therefore you details of a fresh survey;

“The Council for British Archaeology (CBA) has launched a survey about archaeology volunteering. We want to find who out takes an active part in community archaeology and what kind of things you get involved with. Most importantly we’d like to know about the kinds of additional support you need to thrive and how the Council for British Archaeology might be able to help you. The last time we asked you about this was 10 years ago and a lot has changed since then! We would appreciate it if you could distribute this email to your members, the survey can be completed by a representative of a group or an individual.

The CBA brings together the interests of a wide range of people and organisations involved with archaeology in the UK. This includes commercial archaeologists, those working in local authorities, museums or other parts of the archaeological heritage sector; universities; community archaeologists and volunteers. We will use the results from the survey, which has been funded by the Headley Trust,  to help shape the work of the CBA over the coming period and better tailor the support we, and others, can offer to community archaeology.

Click here to start the survey https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CBA_Community_archaeology_2018. The survey closes on Thursday 29 March 2018.

Thank you for your help.

[If you would like a copy of all survey questions so you can discuss and debate your answers between your local group’s committee, please let us know and we’ll see if we can forward one onto you. Since the last survey a number of new local groups have formed, so this survey will be very useful as an up-to-date summary of what is happening and where. Please forward this email or the survey link on to others!].

Tonight’s TAS talk
Teesside Archaeological Society’s monthly talk, tonight, at Stockton is Chris Casswell of DigVentures. He will be talking on a series of excavations across, adjacent and related to sites in CBA North-land. His title is Lindisfarne to Lancaster: Community-based Excavations in the North of England (and a bit of Scotland).

This talk will look at a number of excavations – from a Bronze Age barrow to Medieval village – that have happened, most notably at Lindisfarne, as well as one to come this year in Scotland related to Durham and Lindisfarne. As normal for TAS events this will be at Stockton Library at 7.30.

Other events to come in March and April 2018
As we are in the last week of March and an Easter break close at hand for many here is a quick snapshot of what is happening across CBA North-land from our Events page for the end of March and start of April. Just today we have also have updated this page with all the TAS events planned as well.

28 March – A frontier and community in transition: the Tungrian Vindolanda, Andrew Birley [SOCANTS]

9 April – Durham and the Battle of Dunbar: Identifying Scottish soldiers at Palace Green, Durham, Richard Annis [BAS]
11 April – The Peregrini Project: Excavations on Lindisfarne, Richard Carlton [NAG]
12 April – The Late Iron Age royal site at Stanwick, North Yorkshire: new perspectives, Professor Colin Haselgrove [APPLEBY]

Looking further ahead we also have heard of one group’s 2018 to 2019 programme already!

Further details are through our website pages for the groups, the times and venues of these meetings. We hope you can get along to them!

General Data Protection Regulations
We will shortly be writing to all members about these changes which are very important for how we contact you. This means some changes to our Social Media and Digital Information Policy which was adopted in 2016, which are largely tweaks that Committee are working through.

In the meantime we have some notes from CBA National highlighting what local groups need to do and as a possible template for your group. If there is a demand from our local group members, then we might look to hold a meeting for you on this before the end of May deadline. Let us know if you would be interested in this.

Or if your group ahead of the pack, then let us know so we can highlight your work to others of the CBA North network.

Advertisements

Wear-based archaeology next week

CBA North News
Today quick news of two events which may be of particular interest to those in the Sunderland and County Durham area.

Best wishes,

CBA North Committee
20.10.2017

North Hylton Community Archaeology Dig
This is an opportunity for both adults and children to take part in fieldwalking, trial trenching (small test pits for children) and finds washing. No experience is necessary, training will be provided by professional archaeologists from Wardell Armstrong and all equipment will be provided.

The purpose of the work is to investigate the cropmark visible above on aerial photographs. This project is funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

The archaeological work will run from Monday 23rd October until 3rd November. Volunteers can attend for as few or as many days as they wish, but they do need to book a place. If you are interested please contact;

Frank Giecco     fgiecco@wardell-armstrong.com

Norman Kirtlan     sunderlandsforgottenstones@gmail.com

Further information on the project can be found at Sunderland’s Forgotten Stones website here.

The Durham River Wear Assemblage Project
Also next week is a lecture on finds from the Durham River Wear Assemblage Project.

Further information on the project can be found on here in the pages of the Department of Archaeology, Durham University.

CBA North’s Event: a reminder

CBA North News
We hope that CBA North’s members and followers have been enjoying the spread and range of events across the CBA North region in the past week. There are still, however, many April events still to come; that includes our own CBA North event for which there is still time to book up.We will be circulating a summary of the workshop discussion part of the day soon after the event. If you are unable to attend, but would like to contribute to the Conference/Workshop please send those in as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

CBA North Committee, 10.04.2017

CBA North’s Own Event – a final call for booking up

This is the last email call for booking up at our own CBA North event on Saturday, 29th April 2017. You still have some time to book a place for you or others of your local group/s. We have circulated the details to a number of other local groups, but please feel free to circulate this email further around your contacts as well. We are keen that everyone that may be interested can come along to what will be both an interesting and entertaining day.

People do not have to be CBA National or CBA North members in order to attend.

Here are the short and long links that you can circulate around your group if you are having difficulties forwarding the email and sharing the blog post onwards. You can also use the Forward to a Friend link that can be found on the left hand side of this email as well. Our website opens with details for the day as well where the page includes a Word downloadable booking form here.

We will send out an acknowledgement to all those who have booked places during next weekend.

We look forward to seeing you there!

CBA North’s Event: Summarising and Sustaining

CBA North’s 2017 Event: Summarising and Sustaining: A Conference/Workshop

This email gives you all the details and forms for our own CBA North Conference/Workshop.

It includes the announcement and invitation, programme and booking form for our own CBA North event on Saturday, 29th April 2017. In this page, and on our website page here, we have also provided downloadable versions of the documents in case you would like to circulate them around your own local groups and contacts, as well as to fill in and book yourself.

Best wishes,

CBA North Committee, 14.03.2017

The Announcement and Your Invitation
Dear Member/s,

A FREE event to be held at Newcastle University, Saturday 29th April 2017.

  • You are invited to participate as a Member of CBA North.
  • Group Members should appoint their own official representatives for this day (more especially for the workshop part).
  • We would be grateful if individual and group members could circulate these details as widely as possible. ATTENDANCE IS NOT JUST RESTRICTED TO CBA NORTH MEMBERS BUT NUMBERS WILL HAVE TO BE CAPPED AT 60.
  • A booking form is included below. Again please feel free to copy and distribute this to anyone who might be interested in attending.

ABOUT THE DAY

  • A map of the Newcastle University campus can be found here – we will be meeting in the Number 22 of the second map shown.
  • The meeting will start at 9.30 am and will include morning and afternoon refreshments. Lunch is not provided. Please make your own arrangementsThe day will have two parts;

1) Summarising:

  • Invited speakers (see the Programme below) will update the meeting on community-based projects from all across the CBA North Region.
  • There will be opportunity for groups and individuals to bring display materials relating to recent and on-going work. (Please let us know in advance if you wish to do this).
  • The meeting will start at 9.30am, but displays can be set up from 9.00am.

2) Sustaining:

  • The second part is the Sustaining Workshop where we hope you will join in a full discussion about the future development of community archaeology and local archaeology groups in the region. What are the main challenges to sustaining community-based efforts? What makes a successful local archaeology group?
    YOUR VIEWS AND OPINIONS ARE REALLY IMPORTANT HERE!
  • The discussion will be chaired by Paul Frodsham, who will be known to many for his innovative work in developing community archaeology projects in the region
  • CBA North is keen to hear what you feel that the organisation should be doing to help in sustaining local groups and building the local network.
  • CBA North will capture the main themes and elements of this discussion for future circulation to individuals and group members.

Please return your completed booking form to CBA North by 14 April 2017 if you wish to attend. If you are unable to attend but wish to make comments please use the form working to the same deadline. I hope you will join me in what promises to be a most interesting day!

Best wishes,

Richard Forster
CBA North Chair, 14.03.2017

Programme
MORNING: We want people to share information about the current state of community archaeology in the region through a series of 20 minute ‘snapshots’ by project members and organisers, relating to some of their recent and ongoing project work.

AFTERNOON: Our aim is to facilitate a wide ranging and open discussion, where those active in community archaeology can share experiences relating to areas such as funding, project development and completion, and organisational and sustainability issues.

MORNING PROGRAMME: (Chair: Dr. Rob Young)
9.00-9.25 Registration and display set up.
9.25-9.30 Introduction: Richard Forster, Chair CBA North.

9.30-9.50 ‘Down with the kids……’ How do we involve children in Community Archaeology? Dr. Jane Webster, Newcastle University YAC Branches Leader.
9.50-9.55 Questions

9.55-10.15 ‘Altogether Archaeology’- Building a Community of Practice in the North Pennines’. Mike Powell/Tony Metcalfe, Altogether Archaeology.
10.15-10.20 Questions

10.20-10.40 Landscape Survey North of Hadrian’s Wall: The work of the ‘Tynedale North of the Wall Archaeology Group’. Phil Bowyer, Tynedale North of the Wall Archaeology Group.
10.40-10.45 Questions

10.45-11.05 Roman Papcastle and Medieval Abbeytown: Working with the HLF in Cumbria. Mark Graham and Joanne Stamper, GRAMPUS Heritage and Training.
11.05-11.20 Coffee and Questions

11.20-11.40 Flodden 500 Community Project: An EcoMuseum ApproachJane Miller, Education and Outreach Officer, Berwick Museum and Art Gallery.
11.40-11.45 Questions

11.45-12.05 ‘Headlands to Headspace – Celebrating Morecambe Bay’s Heritage’. The Role of Community Archaeology. Louise Martin, H2H Cultural Heritage Officer.
12.05-12.10 Questions

12.10-12.30 ‘Mills and Border Roads: Coquetdale Community Archaeology in Action’. Chris Butterworth/David Jones, Coquetdale Community Archaeology.
12.30-12.45 Questions

12.45-13.05 ‘Interpreting PEREGRINI’. David Suggett, Community Engagement and Interpretation Officer Peregrini Lindisfarne Landscape Partnership.
13.05-13.10 Questions

13.10-13.45 LUNCH (Please make your own arrangements – The conference room will be open if you bring your own lunch)

AFTERNOON PROGRAMME: 
13.45-14.05 The CBA North: Challenges for the Future. Richard Forster, Chair CBA North.

The afternoon session will be chaired by Paul Frodsham who will also give a lead into the afternoon ‘Workshop’ by discussing his own, wide, experience of organising community archaeology projects.

Coffee will be available from 14.00 so that we can have ‘refreshments’ as we talk.

WORKSHOP: (Chair: Paul Frodsham, Oracle Heritage Services)

14.05-14.25 The ‘Lindisfarne Experience’ of Crowd Funding: A Viable Alternative for the Future? Dr. David Petts, Durham University.
14.25-14.30 Questions

14.30-15.10 ‘So You Want to Organise a Community Archaeology Project?’…. Some do’s, don’ts and general suggestions. Paul Frodsham, Oracle Heritage Services.

15.10-16.30 OPEN FORUM

USING PAUL’S INTRODUCTION, THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO SHARE IDEAS, PICK THE SPEAKERS BRAINS, OFFER YOUR OWN SOLUTIONS TO ISSUES LIKE RECRUITMENT AND KEEPING GROUPS ACTIVE AND TOGETHER. THE FLOOR BELONGS TO YOU!

IN ADDITION TO ANY POINTS RAISED BY PAUL IN HIS INTRODUCTION, SOME AREAS FOR DISCUSSION MIGHT INCLUDE:

Fieldwork: methods, training and equipment
Does your group do fieldwork? How do you identify what fieldwork you do? What numbers of members get involved? What equipment do you have or need? What might you share with other groups (knowledge, skills and/or experience)? What training do you want/need? Do you use research frameworks or have your own?

Sponsorship and grants
Do you apply for sponsorship and grants? What do you apply for and who do you apply to? Does your society/group give grants? How are these assessed, and for what are they given? What sums are available? What conditions do you have?

Publication, reporting and archives
What organisation do you report your work? How do you do it? Does your group produce archives? What form do they take and where do they go? Do you produce printed matter? What are your thoughts to electronic publication and/or digitisation? Do you have an existing publication? How regularly is this produced? Where is this taken? Does your group take on archives?

Membership, committee roles and succession plans
What are your membership numbers like? Up, down or steady? What is your proportion of ‘young’ members? Where do you see your group in 5, 10 and more years? Do you have committee roles vacant? What are these? Why are these vacant? Is there any help that other groups can offer? How does the group promote itself? Does the group use social media?

Building the network
What is CBA North doing for you? What would you like to see more of (as an individual or a group)? What and where are the gaps in our coverage? How do we achieve a better network of local groups? What would you like to see CBA North doing? Is there a role for a regional group at all?

BUT THIS LIST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE PRESCRIPTIVE!

CBA North Committee will capture the key points of the discussion with a view to circulating them to those interested after the event. We hope that you enjoy the day!

Booking Form
We will need you to book places for attending this event – this will help us in circulating the workshop discussions later. You can print out and fill in the booking form below, before sending it back into us at cbanorth@archaeologyuk.org.

We have put another format of this form, as a .pdf file, with the other documents onto our website on our Conference/Workshop 2017 website page here, in case you are having problems with printing out this version which you can also fill in and send back to us. We have also attached a Word booking form for you as well here.

Hylton Castle and Street House next week

CBA North News

Today CBA North feels a bit like an estate agent. Would Sir or Madam be interested in either of these two ‘offers’ for your archaeological time and interests?

We have two very different houses of different periods, locations and settings from the southeastern parts of our CBA North ‘collection’ (sorry, that should read as ‘region’) with events that you may be interested in.

Best wishes,

CBA North Committee
23.09.2016

Community Archaeology at Hylton Castle
CBA North Members and Followers might be interested in the chance to take part in excavations at Hylton Castle which are being run as part of the Hylton Castle Project which is an initiative, recently launched, by the Friends of Hylton Castle and Sunderland City Council supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.


These excavations run from Monday, 26th September, next week to Friday, 7th October, the week after. If you’d like to try your hand at archaeology, and find out more about the history of the site, then why not give it a try?

No previous archaeological experience is necessary, though places may be limited if there is high demand to be involved. If you would like to join in please contact Penny Middleton of Northern Archaeological Associates through her email address which is pm@naa.gb.com or call 0191 375 0943 for further details.


Neolithic Street House – the story continues
Many CBA North Members and Followers will already be familiar with the Street House excavations of 1980s date of a rare long cairn and ‘wossit’ monuments. More recent excavations by Steve Sherlock and the Teesside Archaeological Society have since revealed a rare Anglo-Saxon bed burial and prehistoric settlements.

On Tuesday evening next week, 27th September, the lectures of the Teesside Archaeological Society resume and open with an account of more recent again excavations led by Steve Sherlock. Here the news of a site “of regional or perhaps national significance” will be reported at the lecture.

IA Rhouses

Further details of the site, the time and location of the lecture venue can be found here.

Archaeology – like London buses

CBA North News

This is the first full week of September – and what a full week it turns out to be!

Three local archaeological groups across the CBA North region start their lecture series for 2016 to 2017 this week, so like London buses (and more) nothing happens and then so much does. We’ve listed all the regular archaeological group events that we know of.

Details for each local society can be found in the pages of our website which will give you the details of venues and times of the meetings. There are other events again happening this September, and indeed other events have already happened, which we hope to report upon later.

Best wishes,

CBA North Committee
04.09.2016

September Events
5 September – Mortuary Archaeology, Dr Myra Giesen [BAS]
7 September – Medieval Highlands and Islands, David Caldwell [TILLVAS]
8 September – Remote Sensing, David Astbury [CCA]
14 September – Artefacts from the Slave Trade, Dr Jane Webster [CCA]
17 September – Excavations at St Botolph’s Chapel, Frosterley, Paul Frodsham [ARCH & ARCH]
27 September – Street House before the Saxons, Steve Sherlock [TAS]
28 September – From Tyneside to Fratricide: north-easterners in the Spanish Civil War, Lewis Mates [SANT]

Regular archaeological events for May

REGULAR EVENTS FOR MAY

Here is a list of local archaeology group meetings across CBA North’s area that we know of for this month. We range from hunting in whales in The Arctic with TILLVAS this week to Ancient Egypt with NEAES later in the month.

Along the way there are talks on the Romans – from the large-scale economy with BAS to the personal on glass bangles with NAG – to the lime kilns and lead industry of the North Pennines from APPLEBY and SANT respectively as well as other talks again.

4 May – Whaling in the North-East, Tony Barrow [TILLVAS]
9 May – The Economy of the Roman Empire: dynamic or stagnant?, Jeremy Paterson [BAS]
10 May – Evening Walk to the Smardale Lime Kilns, Carol Doughtery [APPLEBY]
11 May – Art connects people: Iron Age and Roman period glass bangles in Continental Europe and Britain, Tatiana Ivleva, Newcastle University [NAG]
14 May – AGM at the Discovery Museum, Newcastle, with a talk on the Scottish Soldiers Project, Dr Andrew Millard [ARCH & ARCH]
21 May – The Mummy Pits of Ancient Egypt, Tessa Baber [NEAES]
25 May – Owners and Agents; managing a large lead business in the 18th century northeast, Greg Finch [SANT]
31 May – Community Archaeology: Getting Involved in Research, Dr Jon Kenny [TAS]
Date to be confirmed: May – Annual General Meeting [CCA]

For the further details of the relevant societies, their venues and meeting times see their links from our CBA North website. These can be found in the Events as well as Local Societies and Groups pages.

There are doubtless other events happening this month – please let us know if you would like us to publicise your groups to a large, and archaeologically interested, audience across Northern England and beyond. This can be done at our AGM in June or through emails to our Members and Followers.

If you have been sent this email and you aren’t a CBA North member or group why not consider joining us? Details for joining us can be found on our website.