Durham County Local History Society
Future of history society in doubt after 51 years
Durham County Local History Society’s Council urgently wants to attract new volunteers to ensure the Society has a future.
John Banham, the Society’s Secretary said that :
We have our 51st AGM next Saturday and, unless we recruit new people to edit our Journal and other publications and to generally manage the Society’s work, we will be forced to wind up in a few years. Regrettably, existing members are not coming forward to fill the roles left vacant by retirements, so, in order to continue the Society needs “new blood”.
In 2016 the Society needs to fill the following vacancies :
- Treasurer (and Trustee – the Society is a registered Charity)
- General Editor (over the years the Society has published over 30 books)
- Journal Editor (Journal 80 for 2015 has just been published and, unless an editor can be found in 2016, Journal 81 may be the last one)
- Programme Secretary (the Society’s Annual Lecture Programme has been in abeyance since 2013 and needs to be revived)
- Website editor ( see http://www.durhamweb.org.uk/dclhs )
The AGM takes place at Committee Room No 2, County Hall, Durham City at10.30 pm on Saturday 21 November 2015 and is a free event. Non-members are welcome. If you are not a member but are interested in attending to find out more, please contact John Banham on 01388 816209 or e-mail him at : email@example.com